1. Education
Karen Schweitzer

World's First Tuition-Free Online University Will Launch in April

By January 28, 2009

Should education be free for everyone? Shai Reshef says yes. Reshef has founded the world’s first tuition-free, online academic institution. Known as University of the People, the institution will open its virtual doors to students in April of this year.

University of the People will be offering two programs to start: a bachelor degree in Business Administration and a bachelor degree in Computer Science. To be considered for either program, students must have a high school diploma (or its equivalent), sufficient knowledge of the English language, and Internet access.

University of the People will not be charging tuition. However, students will be asked to pay a small fee to register ($15 to $50) and a moderate fee to take end of course examinations ($10 to $100). Registration and exam fees are based on students' country of origin.

Comments

January 28, 2009 at 10:08 am
(1) Mahmoud Hermes says:

wowowowowo really this make me soooooooooooo happy great step and that will change the education so much and now every thing easy to learn so to be createror based on you I wish that happened from many years ago

February 3, 2009 at 6:40 am
(2) Mbusa Bihande says:

This is so so great. Many under previleged especially in the developping will easily access University education. I pray that this dreams comes true.

February 4, 2009 at 9:49 am
(3) cedric says:

i am going to be first to enrol.i am in africa i was to be in university but i cannot afford tuition.i am ver happy and seriously waiting for April to come.

February 5, 2009 at 12:23 am
(4) Phil Gonzalez says:

What a brilliant idea. This program will be a great success. How can anyone not take advantage of a free education practically. I hope I am accepted into this program in April 2009, to lead by example that you can get a degree at an older age and a busy work schedule. Something that some of us older people get to have a second chance at advancing our education.

February 6, 2009 at 6:17 pm
(5) Amanda Lee says:

So far this sounds like a pretty good idea with all of the Open Course Ware out there. This could prove to add valuable direction to independent online study.

I hope to apply too!

February 10, 2009 at 3:07 am
(6) shishir says:

Though it is said that University of People is not for profit but I think Shai Reshef( the owner) will make huge profit from very little amount of registration fee and exam fee from the poor people of all around the world.This is nothing but a way to make money by showing fake responsibility towards the poor people.

February 17, 2009 at 1:16 am
(7) Amudhan says:

Respected sir/madam
I am a person very much interested in learning new subjects. I want to know what courses are available with UoP at present . My area of interests are logic and computer applications

March 29, 2009 at 2:45 pm
(8) Ateji Oluwakayode says:

This will be very nice. Kindly inform me immediately it is launched.

May 18, 2009 at 11:30 am
(9) Russell Spears says:

I have been submitting this idea for some time now in the US. I even presented this in the Citizens Briefing Book and on NPR getmyvote.org. On both of these the idea was voted second highest on educational issues. Obama did not put this in his briefing book. I love the guy, but education for all is the only way to give those who wish to work for their dreams, access. Here in the US this is a dangerous idea and one that can deliver true democracy-something we are still struggling to actualize in this world. It is my firm opinion that a free online university will be the first truly democratic institution. Shai Reshef will soon be considered the man that brought the world into the democracy of the 21st century and brought along freedom with the means to achieve it!

See my posts here

May 20, 2009 at 5:28 am
(10) Juvy M. Libosada says:

Hi, please inform me as soon it is launched,we are now at end of may 2009 though…

May 26, 2009 at 1:07 pm
(11) Darlngton P says:

Whay do I say? God bless you for this.

June 10, 2009 at 12:41 pm
(12) omubo says:

I want to send students to your site considering that the fees could be sufficiently moderate
Morever I think i would get a lot of people to enrol if the requirement for diploma or its equivalent is compromised by an award you will offer after the student gains passes in relevant courses with you

July 19, 2009 at 2:53 am
(13) Victor pichardo says:

I love it. I want to be a part of that, too.

July 31, 2009 at 11:41 am
(14) Y. Ouaknine says:

This is just a great idea. I also believe that education is a right and I hope to be among the first students ennrolling frome Israel, the land where studies are (quite) costly!

August 4, 2009 at 1:02 pm
(15) Tushar says:

Its a great leap toward a globalised Education and i am interested to take part in it.

February 11, 2010 at 11:39 am
(16) sanni olalekan says:

i am very happy to be aware of this great news,i live in west-africa(nigeria)lagos.i would like to be one of the pioneer students.thanks

February 13, 2010 at 11:21 am
(17) SIHINDA YERIMA BALLAH says:

pls i want you to inform me about your programme as soon as you start i am frm nigeria for now i resite lagos.i will be greatful if you give me due consideration

February 18, 2010 at 12:51 pm
(18) epie gabriel says:

it is great for me to enroll in a prefessional shool like uni people without paying for tution.this will uplift many around the world espacialy africans.thanks

April 22, 2010 at 3:41 am
(19) BUTIMBA ANTONY says:

wow what a great university of insiperation! some of us we had given up with studies because of fiancial problem.

what of programs like filim idustries? iam soru to ask this but its because i have the great talent of writing and acting movies but I have no one to help me pull up my talent.
if there is any one who can help me with this my email.
butimba02@hotmail.com I have sofa produced one movie a called CITY IN VILLAGE. But because of financial weakness I have no promoter i am just sited on my talent! and that is why I am colling apon any one who can aford to promote me! just send me an email.
Thanks dear.
yours faithfuly,
BUTIMBA ANTONY
(Mr. UMEMMI) from kampala city uganda.

April 28, 2010 at 8:58 pm
(20) Lawrence Arukawi says:

What an opprortunity for a developing country like us in the Solomon Islands, as far as I’ am and my country is concern, it will boast my knowledge as well as help me to get my qualification at an affordable cost.

September 28, 2010 at 6:53 am
(21) CHINYERE ONYEMEKARA says:

This is one of the best news,God bless the founders.

April 19, 2011 at 8:35 am
(22) Kelly Gray says:

Great article! It is not easy to find the best education for you. I was in deep trouble, while I was looking for education for my daughter.A friend of mine recommended me one of the best sites.You can browse thousands of the colleges and universities there.This is the only one site that offers this absolutely for free. Here is a link

Hope that helps …