When you receive a Pell Grant, your school will pay you directly or credit your college account.
Federal Pell Grant Eligibility
- Students must be US Citizens.
- Students must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Students must be pursuing their first undergraduate degree.
- Students who are male must first register with the Selective Service.
- Students can only receive one Pell Grant per year.
- Students who are eligible for a Federal Pell Grant may also be eligible for a Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
- The amount that a student receives is based upon their individual financial need and school costs.
- Amounts depend upon whether the student will be attending part-time or full-time.
- Grants are limited to the funding allotted by Congress. Amounts range between $555 and $5,550.
- As guaranteed by the federal government, each school will receive enough money to honor Pell Grants for all eligible students.
- Students can apply for a Federal Pell Grant at their school's financial aid office.
- To apply, students must fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application will determine the student's level of eligibility and award amount based on financial need.
- Students will receive the results of their application within two to four weeks.