SAT Test Centers
Make sure that you know exactly where the SAT test center is and how long it takes to get to there. Try to arrive at the test center at least 30 minutes before your SAT appointment. You will need to check in prior to taking the test. Also, do not forget to bring your SAT admission ticket and a photo ID.
Before Taking the SAT
It’s hard to resist the temptation to stay up all night and cram for the SAT. The fact is, you will be much better off if you spend that time resting. Make sure that you get enough sleep the night before. Your brain will be better for it.
A good breakfast is not a bad thing, but make sure that you do not eat or drink too much right before the exam. You don’t want to waste test-taking time because you are holed up in the bathroom.
SAT Test Taking Tips
There are many different approaches that you can use that will help you succeed on the SAT. Most importantly, prepare for the test and keep a steady head while taking it. Here are a few other SAT test-taking tips that will assist you:
- Answer easy SAT questions first. You don’t get extra points for hard questions, so don’t waste all of your time trying to work them out. In each section of the SAT, the questions start out easy and become increasingly more difficult. Get through the easiest part of the SAT first before attempting the hard questions.
- Don't be afraid to guess on the SAT. Unless you are working on a particularly difficult SAT questions, usually you can rule out one or more answers. If you are going to guess, guess smart.
- Know when to skip an SAT question. Sometimes after reading a question, you know that you will not be able to come up with an answer. Rather than spending ten minutes trying to narrow down your choices, skip the question. If you have time at the end, you can go back and have another go at it.
- Use your SAT test book. It’s perfect for scratch work. Cross off eliminated answers, makes notes, and mark of questions that you have skipped so you can easily reference them later.
- Keep track of time while taking the SAT. Sounds easy, right? Not always. In the heat of the moment, it is easy to lose track of time.
Out of all of the mistakes that SAT test-takers make, here are the three most common errors:
- Getting lost on the way to the SAT Test Center.
- Showing up late to the SAT Test Center.
- Drinking too much right before taking the SAT.